Respecting Australian nature, first
Your wellbeing and that of mankind in a sustainable natural world depends primarily on how you think and how nature works. Accordingly, here is your invitation to travel with Nature Bound in a mindful eco-friendly partnership.
Our Eco Tours Commitment
Our Travel Ethic, first penned in 2003, was one of the first self-governing contributions to responsible ecotourism in Australia. Our products are officially certified through Ecotourism Australia. The Travel Ethic determines the ethos and conduct of each and every tour. Accordingly we:
- support local providers of essential supply and guiding services to our tours, favouring locally owned and managed businesses. Through this we stimulate the local economy, maximise efficiencies and minimise the impact of long and carbon-intensive supply chains.
- are forever alert to engage climate friendly businesses and green purchasing initiatives.
- undertake to exercise minimal impact or invasion on the natural environment and communities we visit, including local and indigenous cultures.
- seek to measure, respond and offset our carbon footprint and operate efficiently with modest infrastructure. We enjoy 100% green power energy efficiency, working by the “reduce, reuse and offset” principles. We favour environmentally responsible choices both in the office and while on tour.
- will donate to not for profit organisations. This furthers their work in land care and all species living and depending on it.
- engage Nature Bound staff and guides who assume the environmental conscience of each tour group. Because they are custodians of our principles and practices respecting nature’s way, they will encourage your support.
- will comply with the requirements of those entrusted with the management of National Parks and World Heritage wilderness areas we visit.
- Remember to research your holiday carefully, preferably on-line. Feel free to call us for accurate information and an understanding of your needs. Because smaller groups tend to have less environmental impact we can be more immersive in the experiences unfolding. Consider flying less and adventure overland to experience more with less emissions.
- Have a read of our Travel Ethic which has determined our ethos and discipline since 2003. This serves to protect the environments we explore and enhances the collective fulfilment of fellow guests.
- On departure for your Nature Bound Eco tour be sure to turn off any energy wasting services in your home.
- It’s best to pack light and bring only what you need. Utilise re-usable bags and avoid the disposing of plastic.
- Consider the green-pathway leading to our tour through the choice of eco-friendly hotels and other travel services. Remember to offset your flight emissions by choosing a participating airline.
- While on tour we ask you to be water wise, to consider recycling your towels. Where possible, bring your own natural biodegradable toiletries.
- Don’t forget to close off air-conditioning and lighting when you’re not occupying accommodations.
- Be sure to bring and use refillable water bottles. Remember a 1 litre bottle of water purchased requires 3 litres of water to create.
- Take an interest in everything local as we are guests of each community, some as few as 4 people in remote areas. People full of life and character. Empower the “local” through a mutual exchange of interest.
- Consider supporting local artisans and enterprises if purchasing a memento of your visit. You can assist by avoiding products which serve to diminish or threaten the habitats and species you set out to enjoy.
- Extend respect to our First Peoples , their culture, wisdom and place. It is important to seek advice if you are unsure of how to respond.
- Be open minded and share in group discussion – as this can be self educating.
- Above all, take the opportunity to slow down for a while, immerse and connect “one with nature”.
- “Evolutionary history suggests we thrive in the presence of nature and suffer in its absence”
We welcome your feedback, so we may improve our best practices in sustainable travel and celebrate our guest’s fulfilment.